Inclement Video is a project designed to keep myself perpetually in the process of image gathering. I will try to write something about each video but can't promise this entirely.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

5.29.11 My Lover, I Love Ya

My first installment of HD video. I have a love/hate relationship with HD in the sense that it really does look nice and clean and crisp and wonderful, but it also is sterile. One of my least favorite things is that everyone shoots in HD now and it seems like everyone knows everything about getting the best image quality out of a piece of footage. But there's no character, no texture to the picture. I like being able to actually see the video, not just the image the video is capturing. I like the degradation of video tape, it lets me know that it's representing something, not try to fool me into believing that thing is right in front of me. I like the suspension of disbelief, the bit of curtain pulled back on the wizard. HD is a mask without a curtain, albeit a beautiful mask.

My Lover, I Love Ya from Hettie Kauffman on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment